I can’t get enough strawberries right now! They are in season, cheap, and delicious. When trying to think of a different way to consume them, I came up with strawberry muffins. These muffins are light, fluffy, and moist. Quite simple too!
The first thing you will want to do is preheat your oven to 475°F. You will be baking your muffins at 375°F, but starting your oven 100°F hotter than the baking temperature helps to create those desired peaks on your muffins.
Next, melt the butter. Do this at the beginning so it has time to cool. This is so when you beat the egg into the butter won’t cook!
After you have melted the butter and set it aside to cool, measure the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Stir them until they are well combined.
Now whisk your milk and eggs into the melted butter (or margarine).
Here is another trick! To keep pieces of fruit from sinking to the bottom of your baked goods, stir them in with the dry ingredients. This way they get a coating of powder around the outside that sort of sticks it in place.
Stir those strawberry chunks into the dry ingredients until they are all coated.
Form a well in the dry ingredients and fill it with the wet ingredients.
This part is important! Stir together the wet and dry ingredients until they are just combined. Never over-mix your muffins. They will turn out tough and undesirable. Your batter will be chunky, but that is alright! Resist the urge to continue stirring!
Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full and pop them in the oven! Drop the oven temperature from 475°F to 375°F. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the tops turn a nice golden brown and spring back when you touch them. Remove the muffins from the pan to cool.
Please comment with any questions you have about this recipe. If you give it a try, share an image with me on Instagram or Facebook. I would love to see!
Makes: 12 muffins Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup Chopped Strawberries
- 2 cups Flour
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2/3 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick)Butter or Margarine
- 2 Eggs
- Preheat the oven to 475°F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or grease the muffin tin well.
- In a small bowl melt the butter or margarine. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Whisk the milk and eggs into the melted butter.
- Gently stir the chopped strawberries into the dry ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix together until just combined. DO NOT over-mix. The batter will be lumpy.
- Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full. Put the muffins in the oven and drop the temperature to 375°F. Bake for 15 minutes or until the tops turn a nice golden-brown and spring back when you touch them.